What is Hyaluronic Acid?
A hyaluronic serum has a ton of skin-boosting benefits, one of the biggest ones? its ability to deliver the skin with mega moisture! This article will touch on the reasons why you need to incorporate hyaluronic serum into your skincare today.
It’s become an increasingly popular ingredient in serums and moisturizers for its superpower hydrating, and anti-aging abilities.
I’m delighted to bring you the top 18 things you need to know about hyaluronic acid so you can learn about what it is, what it does, and how it can help you!
What Does Hyaluronic Acid Do?
- Hyaluronic acid (HA), or hyaluronan, is a carbohydrate molecule that is naturally occurring in our bodies. That’s right, it’s already in your skin!
- HA provides lubrication to the connective tissues of our joints and skin and is an important part of our skin’s overall health.
- HA is present in many areas of your body including your eyes, internal fluids, and connective tissue, but much of it is in your skin, which accounts for 50% of your body’s total HA level.
- Even though it occurs naturally in our bodies, HA is a super popular skincare ingredient. Don’t worry, the type that’s in skincare isn’t taken from people; it’s replicated in a lab
What Are The Hyaluronic Acid Benefits for Skin?
Provides Incredible Moisture
- Hyaluronic acid’s main power move – and the reason it’s gained so much attention in skincare is its amazing ability to deliver lasting moisture to the skin.
- HA is a humectant, which means it grabs moisture and holds it so skin can absorb it.
- The hyaluronic acid molecule can hold up to 1000 times its weight in water!
- The HA molecule is too large to penetrate the top layer of skin. So, it sets up shop on your skin’s surface and gets to work grabbing and holding moisture so your skin can absorb it and stay healthy and hydrated.
- As we age, our skin doesn’t maintain moisture as well as it used to. Babies are born with lots of hyaluronic acid in their skin, which is why it’s so soft!
When our skin loses its suppleness, it starts to sag and fine lines and wrinkles become more apparent (thanks, gravity!)
- Diminishes Wrinkles – Applying hyaluronic acid on your face plumps up the skin to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles.
- Firms and Tones – When your skin is supple and hydrated, it plumps up to appear firmer, less saggy, and more toned.
HA restores skin’s moisture to temporarily turn back the clock and give your skin oomph and youthful rejuvenation!
Boosts Skin’s Health and Protection
- Improves Protective Barrier – When your skin is dry, its surface is more vulnerable to damage and even infection getting through.
By providing your skin’s outer layers from the environment with rich moisture, HA actually strengthens your skin’s protective barrier to give you stronger, healthier skin. It’s like repairing your skin’s armor!
- Supports Healing – Likewise, HA supports your skin’s healing and repairing ability by giving skin-soothing moisture and anti-inflammatory properties.
- 14. Antioxidant Defense – HA even gives your skin antioxidant defense to fight UV damage. This is important since free radicals can break down collagen and elastin to age our skin and make wrinkles and sagging more apparent.
Are There Side Effects to Using Hyaluronic Acid on the Face? Is Hyaluronic Acid Safe?
- Because HA is naturally occurring in our bodies, it poses a pretty low risk for allergic reaction or irritation.
Is hyaluronic acid really worth using?
- YES! Because it offers such lightweight hydration, HA is gentle and great for all skin types, including those with eczema, oily or sensitive skin.
- Plus, we’re all aging. Even if you’re not concerned about wrinkles, you can still benefit from HA’s ability to hydrate and protect skin.
- And, hyaluronic acid is wonderful for restoring skin’s hydration year-round. As we head into autumn and winter months, cold, dry air, and heaters zap our skin’s moisture. In summer, heat and sun exposure totally dry us out.
Make sure you’re always replenishing skin’s hydration by using moisturizing skincare and drinking plenty of water!